Saturday, February 24, 2007

Computers...URGH!!

I have decided... Computers are more trouble than they are worth. Ok so I couldn't live without mine, it has been my salvation, and my ruin at times. My ex left for someone he met on our first computer, but then I met DH online too a year or so after that. It was also my best friend when I had hyperemesis gravidarum when pregnant, and the girls on the HER website (linked right) were my angels. They supported me through everything and now I try and do the same for those suffering now, I'm totally hooked on that site.

Anyway, back to my computer issues. Last week my computer started running slower than usual, and my spyware scanner was alerting me to all kinds of tracking cookies etc... I know enough about computers to know that's NOT good. But I figured that if the spyware catcher was getting them then that's good. WRONG. every day I was getting more and more, and getting these really annoying pop ups, even though I had my pop up blocker on AOL as well as IE and had messenger pop ups disabled in my control panel. Whatever, I needed to find out what was going on. Eventually my computer just froze on me... Couldn't even shut my computer down, had to turn it off manually.

Great so now it's time to reformat the darn thing. PC whizz buddy tells me how to do that and I set to work. It was a toughie as I'd never done it before, but I managed it better than I thought I would. The main problems started AFTER I'd done the reformatting. I tried to get AOL back on my pc and it decides to tell me that my passwords are wrong.. uh-huh if you say so. I eventually get past that hurdle and then it tells me that my modem hasn't been detected.. UGH!

This all happened yesterday, and I finally got the internet back on this afternoon. And then comes the joy of putting all my programs back on again since I wiped absolutely everything off. Oh joy, guess what? NO SOUND! Grrrrrrr! Aparantly I had no sound drivers at all, or video drivers, so here we go again with searching all over the world (ok the web) for a generic driver because I don't have a motherboard disk since my pc was built from scratch rather than bought from a shop. FINALLY get it sorted and have sound again and got most of my programs installed again apart from PSP but Nikki is bringing it back tomorrow as she'd borrowed it.

Oh and one night away from my forum had me chewing my arm off!

No comments: